1.19.2009

thoughts on raising children

I've talked about some of my recent struggles in trying to stay mindful of my children's lives and the effects my 'busyness' has on them.

I'll try to spare you a book here ...

But this is a sign we have near the house in Exuma. I passed it the other day and thought, "Wow, this is a pretty deep message." I realize I'm in this frame of mind right now, but think about it for a minute.

Ten miles per hour ... kids crossing. Am I crazy in my *deep* thoughts? Or can you feel me? If I can stop and remember this message frequently during the day, I think it'd do me good. I get so busy with "not right now" and "in just a minute" or "I'll be right there."

This weekend has been so refreshing to me ... I've felt mindful and present like I haven't in a long time in my girls lives.

As for the message I've typed in next to the photo ... I'm reading a book by E.D Hill called, "I'm Not Your Friend, I'm Your Parent." {a gift from my mom ... thanks mom, I am actually reading it}.

And last night as I read the quote from Jackie Kennedy, it just really came together for me. Not that it hasn't before, mind you ... but for some reason, I need to continually be hit over the head for things to sink in ... I. am. a. slow. l-e-a-r-n-e-r!

Anyway.

I read the quote and thought of the photo and thought I'd put it all together for you to put into your own relevant bag of parenting tricks.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

All I can say is, I FEEL YOU!

heather said...

I like that quote A LOT!

(and not just cause it validates that my "job" is important either!) :-)

Unknown said...

I totally get that...now I need to live it!

I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed yourself and family!!